[texbirds] Friday, 3-Jan-14, Eagle Lake area, Attwater

  • From: paul sellin <pjsellin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 05:53:09 -0800 (PST)

Deloris and I birded the Lapland Longspur site (Hwy 1093 at Road 210 aka Beal
Rd--east of Eagle Lake) in late morning and late afternoon, and Attwater NWR in
the afternoon.

Highlights:  Hundreds of Laplands in the air around 5 pm on Beal Road. All
day-- thousands of Geese and Ducks, sometimes stirred up by Harriers and Bald
Eagles. Saw and heard a few Sandhills occasionally. About a dozen Rusty
Blackbirds at Attwater, some bathing, at the last 90 degree turn in the auto
loop.  A Prairie Falcon just east of Road 210 on 1093 as we headed back to
Houston around 5:15 pm.

The Laplands generally stayed very low and behind a levee about 150 yards to
the east off Beal Road. Most of the time small groups would occasionally fly
short distances, giving fleeting looks at long range.

Thanks, John Tharp, for the initial Lapland report, and to Ted, Candy and Susan
for help sighting the Longspurs in the afternoon.

Paul Sellin
SW Houston