[texbirds] Forsterâs Tern speed during dive; action photo limitations

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:39:44 -0400 (EDT)

As I am working now on photo material illustrating moments of dive and
plunge into the water by different birds I want to share one example that
illustrate sort of typical Forsterâs Tern dive and plunge. Roughly estimated
dive speed shortly before plunge was 26 km/h (16 miles/h). Also, as we can see
 in photo during the  very last  moment (lasting 1/8 second) tern
completed the dive, plunged into the water, tried to strike the prey (small
fish)
and he/she is on the way to the surface. So even with cameras equipped  with
8 shots per second shutters it is a pure luck to freeze in photo specific
moments like the precise moment of tern entering the water. It might take
many  series of photos to have this moment finally caught in photo (missed
entirely in  posted example). On the other hand we can see how many different
moments of  action  can happened during just 1/8 second. So if one tries to
photograph  action please do not feel frustration after one or few tries. It
might take many  tries to get what one wants. I know of no human who can
predict precisely the  moment to press the shutter with so short time to react.
See for yourself:

_http://www.pbase.com/image/147030675_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147030675)

Mark B Bartosik