[texbirds] Re: Flamingo pair in Freeport/Surfside Beach

  • From: "Nick Mirro" <nickmirro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:43:05 -0500

Hi texbirders.  As the reporter of the flamingos in Surfside Beach, I can
happily confirm with 100% certainty that they were not spoonbills and that
they were flamingos.  The bill shape was easy to see and the long flamingo
legs and general shape was unmistakable.  This was a very, very easy call.
Hope they're here to stay and that some photos are taken!  Here's a little
extra info.

-----

Hi Bob,

The pair appeared evenly and richly colored like the one on the left.  That
was my view but I just confirmed this with Phoebe.  I sent her your photo of
the mis-matched pair and asked her to say how the colors of ones we saw
compared.  She said they both looked strongly colored like the one on the
left, though there could have been a slight difference in shade.  She said
they were definitely not like the pair in your photo.  We did not notice leg
bands, though we were not looking for them.  They were in view for about 30
seconds, starting at 100 feet until they were gone.

Thanks for asking.  I didn't know about the Texas rare bird alert until you
emailed.

Nick

Dallas

-----

And to Susan Walters in Dallas who suggested that I join and post to
texbirds, here was my more heartfelt reply.

Hi Susan.  Thanks for suggesting texbirds!  I posted for the first time last
night and got a message from Bob Friedrichs this morning.  How exciting!
I'm trying to provide calm and objective sighting info but really want to
just post, "Man you should have been there!  Unfreakin' believable!!!  :-)

Nick