[texbirds] First 4 days of "first birding trip to the Valley"

  • From: "cls_121389@xxxxxxxxx" <cls_121389@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 19:43:40 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to all who have helped me, my first 4 days in the Valley have been very,
very enjoyable, with 50 life birds and many other nice sightings too.  Special
thanks to Mark and Joan whose bird walk I joined at Santa Ana and to Roy
Rodriguez with whom I spent a day birding.
Highlights, to me, in no particular order:

1) Red-billed Pigeon - flying upriver at Salineño in great sunlight
2) Zone-tailed Hawk - fantastic look in great light on the river at Salineño

3) Audubon's Oriole - a couple at the Salineño feeders
4) Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet - saw a very cooperative pair at Santa Ana;
also seen and heard today at Anzalduas
5) Ringed Kingfisher and Green Kingfisher - great, long looks at both male and
female of both species.  I like kingfishers!
6) Painted Redstart - at the rest stop in Brooks County
7) Getting acquainted with the common specialty birds of the Valley both by
sight and sound
8) White-tailed Kite - saw twice, both very well
9) Seeing a coyote at Falcon SP, followed a few seconds later by roadrunner!
Too funny - beep, beep!

Still on the lookout for:

Tropical Kingbird - not singing much now, it seems
Hook-billed Kite - looked for for a couple hours today at Anzalduas
Groove-billed Ani

Mississippi Kite
Brown-crested Flycatcher - any around yet?

Lesser Nighthawk - any around yet?

Painted Bunting - any around yet?

Thanks again.
Carlton Schooley