[texbirds] Re: Field Cameras Catch Deer Eating Birds

  • From: Ervin Fleming <endersgt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dwa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dwa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx" <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, "jtillman@xxxxxxxxxx" <jtillman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 17:13:24 -0800

longish reply.............
Since I don't contribute very often, I come from a photography and science
background.
If I may shed some light on motive... The cells of an organism need sugars to
drive the cell processes. But the main job of most cells requires proteins to
perform. Proteins break down into amino acids and are rebuilt into the specific
proteins required by the cells. So atypical behaviors (like rainforest
elephants eating cave dirt for salt missing in their diet) are based on diet
deficiencies for the most part. Imbalances in diet through short term climate
variations are a given and most critters have survival behaviors programmed in.
 It's kinda neat when we get to see them at work.
Apologies if this sounded a bit stiff or if everyone already knew this stuff.
Mainly trying to keep it short.
Tom Fleming
Grand Prairie

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 6:33 PM, Paul and Georgean Kyle <dwa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

When we were banding on a regular basis back in the 90s, we came upon a deer
chewing on a bird in one of the mist nets.

Paul

Paul and Georgean Kyle

Project Directors
Chimney Swift Conservation Association
www.ChimneySwifts.org

Sanctuary Stewards
Travis Audubon's Chaetura Canyon Sanctuary
www.TravisAudubon.org