[texbirds] Falls Co. 1/12/14

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 16:08:52 -0800 (PST)

On 1/12/14, Veena Mohan and  I spent from about 10:30am until 4:30pm in Falls
County doing some scouting ahead of the Century Club field trip to the county
that I am leading for the TOS meeting in Round Rock this weekend.  Stops
included the Rosebud City Lake, Marlin City Park, Marlin City Lakes, and
several ponds out in the Blackland Prairie.  I tallied 75 species, and given
some of the misses coupled with some good luck (and more eyes), there could be
an outside shot at getting close to 100 species - 80-90 species might be a more
reasonable expectation, though.  The Marlin City Lakes in particular has a lot
of potential (lots of flooded woodland and tangles) and I plan on spending a
fair bit of time there during the field trip.  However, some of the wooded
areas along the county roads were perhaps the birdiest stops with gobs of birds
coming into my pishing.
Snow Goose 11
Wood Duck 13
Gadwall 17
American Wigeon 35
Mallard 29
Northern Shoveler 11
Northern Pintail 96
Green-winged Teal 10
Canvasback 1
Redhead 5
Ring-necked Duck 12
Pied-billed Grebe 4
Double-crested Cormorant 127
American White Pelican 19
Great Blue Heron 5
Great Egret 10
Black Vulture 43
Turkey Vulture 85
Northern Harrier 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 2
Red-tailed Hawk 25
Killdeer 7
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Greater Yellowlegs 4
Least Sandpiper 22
Ring-billed Gull 80
Forster's Tern 2
Rock Pigeon 32
Eurasian Collared-dove 28
White-winged Dove 2
Mourning Dove 80
Red-bellied Woodpecker 13
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Ladder-backed Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 4
American Kestrel 24
Eastern Phoebe 6
Loggerhead Shrike 5
Blue Jay 6
American Crow 14
Carolina Chickadee 35
Tufted Titmouse 3
House Wren 1
Carolina Wren 9
Bewick's Wren 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 7
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 31
Eastern Bluebird 11
Northern Mockingbird 13
Brown Thrasher 1
European Starling 13
American Pipit 10
Cedar Waxwing 15
Orange-crowned Warbler 2
Pine Warbler 4
Yellow-rumped Warbler 11
Spotted Towhee 1
Chipping Sparrow 34
Field Sparrow 2
Vesper Sparrow 3
Savannah Sparrow 66
Song Sparrow 9
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
Swamp Sparrow 1
White-throated Sparrow 51
Harris's Sparrow 12
White-crowned Sparrow 17
Northern Cardinal 87
Red-winged Blackbird 182
Eastern Meadowlark 102 (all meadowlarks heard were Eastern)
Brewer's Blackbird 2117
Great-tailed Grackle 2
Brown-headed Cowbird 111
American Goldfinch 28