[texbirds] Falfurrias- Painted Redstart

  • From: Mary McCarley <marymccarley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 21:20:08 -0500

We headed down to the RGV today, stopping on the way at the Falfurrias Rest
Stop to look for the Painted Redstart. We started at the north pond area where
a Great Kiskadee and a Couch’s Kingbird were constantly flying about. We
walked south past the restrooms to the picnic tables area finding a couple
Green Jays. We walked around bit, saw 3 Golden-fronted Woodpeckers and a
flyover Swainson’s Hawk. When we were about to leave, I spotted the Painted
Restart land on a picnic table just south of the restrooms. It then flew up
into the tree above where it gave nice looks while it preened. Also saw a
Louisiana Waterthrush and a Yellow-rumped Warbler- Audubon’s .

Mary McCarley
Leander, TX