[texbirds] Evening Grosbeak in Cochran County

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 11:48:40 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
Rich Kostecke and I worked on his county hundreds list in Cochran County this
morning.  Morton City Park proved to be quite exciting when, as we watched 2
Townsend's Solitaires flitting about the trees with 15 American Robins, Rich
excitedly announced the presence of an Evening Grosbeak.  We engaged in a short
vehicular pursuit of the bird to the conifers at the northwest corner of 3rd
and Grant where Rich started taking photographs while I dug the field guide out
of his backpack.  Plenty of photographs were attained, the field guide was
consulted, and we agreed that the bird was a female.  Rich will be submitting a
report to the TBRC at some point in the near future.

In the meantime, folk who need the species for Texas (or who have been dying
-ha ha - to work on their Cochran County list) might be inclined to chase the
bird.  Morton City Park has a water feature and the solitaires, robins, and
grosbeak favored the pond's edge, the trees in the park itself, and nearby
conifers to the northwest and to the east of the park.  I suspect a useful
strategy would be to drive to the park, park in the parking lot, and then walk
about a bit, looking for the flock of robins.  With any luck, the solitaires (a
pretty good bird for Cochran County in its own right) will pop up and one will
know that one is looking at the right group of birds.  The Evening Grosbeak
seemed equally at ease in the conifers, the leafless deciduous trees, and on
the ground.

One further detail: we watched the bird, off an on, from 10:34 to 10:52, and
late morning might be the best time to look for the bird - if the flock is
following some kind of feeding/watering pattern.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock