[texbirds] Re: Empid in Kinney, ID Help?

  • From: Mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 21:13:30 -0600

Hi Bryan,

I'm guessing it is going to be tough to tease an absolute positive ID from the
pictures, but for a tree to bark up, it really strikes me as a Hammond's.....
Big headed, gray throat, bill looks short.....    Getting some audio
of a call might be the best bet, and often easier than pix.  They'll
often call in
mornings, especially when a noisy mixed flock gets near.  And they usually
will have a territory you'll easily be able to relocate them in.

I have had two wintering Empidonax here at Utopia in 10 years, both
were Hammond's.

good luck,
Mitch

Mitch Heindel