[texbirds] Ellis County Trumpeters - no

  • From: Ted Drozdowski <muddykayak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 18:38:39 -0600

Hello,
   My wife and I had no luck in finding the Trumpeter Swans this morning on
660 near the town of Bristol in eastern Ellis County.  One other person
also searched the area after we left.  The wind was howling. Cherry Lake,
where they were last reported was exposed to the high winds today and so
I'd imagine the birds sought to be less exposed to those winds today.
     I will be out there again Friday or Saturday to look.
As previously mentioned by Greg Cook, the general area is peppered with
lakes of various sizes, some of them are mostly hidden from view.  Pulling
off the road can be tricky in this area and the most common vehicles are
speeding pickups.
One highlight was 17 Sandhill Cranes feeding in a field on 660 about a mile
north of the intersection of Hwy 34 and 660.
     Ted Drozdowski
     Lake Waxahachie, Ellis County