[texbirds] Ellis County Rose-breasted Grosbeak and other migrants (local interest)

  • From: Ted Drozdowski <muddykayak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 04:05:40 -0500

Hello,
      I had a great morning in my yard yesterday on the west end of Lake
Waxahachie.  The highlight was a migrant Rose-breasted Grosbeak, a bird
rarely reported in Ellis County.  This was a new county bird for me. Of the
56 species I netted in 2 hours, highlights were as follows:
Northern Shoveler - 7 birds lingering
Snowy Egret -1
Green Heron - 1
Cooper's Hawk - 2
Red-shouldered Hawk - 1
Solitary Sandpiper - 1
Lesser Yellowlegs - 13
Upland Sandpiper - 2
Least Sandpiper - 20
Pectoral Sandpiper - 8
Great Crested Flycatcher - 1
Eastern Kingbird - 1
Warbling Vireo - 1
Cliff Swallow - 1 (we get mostly Caves)
House Wren - 1
Eastern Bluebird (4 newly fledged)
American Pipit - 1
Nashville Warbler - 1
Clay-colored Sparrow - 1
White-crowned Sparrow - 4
Summer Tanager - 1
ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK - 1
Indigo Bunting - 2
Baltimore Oriole - 1
Orchard Oriole - 1

 We have had 76 species in the last 4 days and our April yardlist is now at
an even 100 species. Incredibly, of those 100 species, only two have
been warblers: Nashville and Yellow-rumped.  Thankfully, the Yellow-rumps
are now thinning out.

      Good birding,

      Ted Drozdowski
       Lake Waxahachie