[texbirds] Ellis Co Trumpeter Swans update - local interest

  • From: "Lamont Brown" <lamont@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 22:16:42 -0600

The TRSW were not seen today, Thursday.  I was at Cherry Lake, south of
Bristol from 3:30-4 and 5:30-6:50.

But I did find two more large lakes that are good possibilities.  Both of
these lakes showed easily on my GPS as I drove 660 south.

1.  Heading South on 660 toward the community of Crisp, there is Glaspy Rd
that goes East off 660.  This is perhaps half-way to three-fourths of the
way from Bristol to Crisp.  Follow it to the Rancher's gate and you can
easily see a large lake ahead.  This lake is significantly larger than most
of the stock tanks along the roads, but smaller than Cherry Lake.

2.  Entering the community of Crisp from the North, just as 660 makes a
sharp right turn, there is a road called Union Hill that goes left [East].
Take Union Hill about a mile or less and there is an unnamed lake on the
left.  It is as large as Cherry Lake or larger.  If I were a smart swan,
this is where I would be on a windy day as it is very protected by a lot of
trees!

BTW Cherry Lake is easily seen from Bristol cemetery which is immediately
north of the lake, in case early light is not good for pics when viewing
from the road.  Go to Bristol and make two right turns to find the cemetery.

Anyone seeing the swans keep us posted and use TOSRBA if you have it,
please!
Lamont Brown
Denton and Harlingen