[texbirds] El Paso TOS birding today

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "jgstudio@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 00:00:49 -0500

I had the pleasure of helping Byron Stone's Century Club trip this morning. We
started at Polly Harris Marsh and got our target Virginia Rails and Sora. Right
off the bat we had quite the accipiter show with no less than 5 Sharp-shinned
Hawks and 2 Cooper's Hawks in the air over the marsh. We only figured out why
they were there when at least 600 Yellow-headed Blackbirds lifted off and the
Cooper's Hawks gave chase. Swamp and Song Sparrows were icing on the cake. We
then chased down the pair of Band-tailed Pigeons roosting in the Valley along
with some other nice birds. The Lilac-crowned Parrots gave us a good show near
the Country Club as did the Acorn Woodpeckers and Red-naped Sapsucker.  The
continuing Lewis's Woodpecker was his ornery self but we did get good looks. At
a private residence, the group was able to see Anna's, Rufous, and Broad-tailed
Hummingbirds and Byron and I saw the continuing male Broad-billed hummer. I had
to leave the group to go play a concert but the group soldiered on to get 85+
species for the county. The weather was beautiful!

John Groves
El Paso