[texbirds] Ducks - northwest Austin

  • From: "LMarkoff" <canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'texbirds'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:26:55 -0600

Hi Texbirds,

This morning after dropping my mom off at bingo I headed northwest for
several errands.  I finally got a chance to check out the pond at the Arbor
Walk shopping center on the east side of Mopac, just south of Braker Lane.
The pond is at the southern end of the shopping center, right next to the
Firestone store.

I got lucky that it was overcast, so no sun was blasting me in the eyes
while I was scanning the water.  There were a few hundred birds on the
water, some were Coots, but most were Ducks.  And the assortment of Ducks
was pretty good, eight species, Bufflehead, Shoveler, Gadwall, Lesser Scaup,
Ruddy, Ring-necked, Canvasback, and American Wigeon.  I didn't have my scope
with me, so I couldn't see the birds at the far side of the pond well enough
to id them.  There could well be other species of birds there that I missed.

My Bingo Bird List is getting longer.  ;-)

Lori Markoff
Austin