[texbirds] Re: Did anyone investigate this shiny cowbird?

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: gbird@xxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 16:05:54 -0500 (EST)

Yes, just got home from there a few minutes ago. I could not find it but
the wind was howling and the birds were pretty antsy. They were constantly
moving around making doing a good job of glassing and or scoping difficult.
There were probably 100+ Brown-headed Cowbirds and even more Starlings with
a  few Red-winged Blackbirds mixed in. Ray Porter met me there and we both
looked.  As we went back to San Jacinto Point a second time we ran into Vicki
who had  reported it yesterday. She said she had found it not long before
we got there  and then they all moved. I might have to go back when the wind
dies a little and  try again.

While there Ray and I went looking for Sparrows and came across this little
 bird we thought at first might be a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher but the more
I  look at it I don't think so. It was very photogenic and would just sit
10 feet  from us. Feel free to chime in what you think it is. I am not sure
it is not a  pale Pine Warbler but it just doesn't look right.

http://smu.gs/NC27rT

David Hanson

In a message dated 3/6/2014 2:56:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
gbird@xxxxxxx writes:
I  haven't noticed any further comments on this shiny cowbird since
Brush  said march is the time to look for them.
Does anyone  know?
thanks,
Georgina Schwartz
San Antonio

Shiny Cowbird  (Molothrus bonariensis) (1)
- Reported Mar 05, 2014 13:26 by Vicki  Crutchfield
- Baytown Nature Center (UTC 039), Harris, Texas
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=29.7560322,-95.0492263&ll=29.7560
322,-95.0492263
-  Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17319565
-  Comments: "Overall black and iridescent eyes dark not red so not
bronzed,  slightly smaller than nearby redwing possible female with
him"

Reposting of traffic from  TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
from the List  Owner