[texbirds] Crimson-collared Grosbeak Et Al

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 18:10:59 -0600

Hi, all!

The hot stuff first: I was just getting home from the morning's bird
excursion when my friend Pat called and said she had a Crimson-collared
Grosbeak in her yard! Woo hoo!

The rest of my targets were non-existent, and with the gale I'm not
surprised: first went to Santa Ana in hopes of bagging the Virginia Rail,
but instead got two tough-to-get birds: Bufflehead and Eared Grebe on
Pintail Lake 3! The Eared Grebe was new for my Santa Ana list, but a small
flock of Western Meadowlarks was also new, surprisingly! The lighting was
wonderful, and there were loads of ducks and stilts and dowitchers out
there.

My second target was the Prairie Falcon on Anaya Road, and all I got there
was a car-full of dirt with the wind (the guys at Blue Wave are gonna love
me), but picked up a few field-loving birds along the way, along with a
Turkey Vulture that showed white neck feather bases in the wind just like a
Chihuahuan Raven! Last stop was Estero for THEIR Virginia Rail, but no go;
instead, had a flock of about 20 Green Parakeets that were definitely new
for my Estero list, and May was telling me that they were coming in to the
Anacua trees! Their "pet" Black-chinned Hummingbird put in an appearance,
and had some nice photo ops with some of the wintering ducks.

Pictures (along with a video of a Kiskadee yelling and having a Bad Hair
Day) are on my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/marybeth.stowe

Bird List:

Gadwall Anas strepera

Mottled Duck Anas fulvigula

Blue-winged Teal Anas discors

Cinnamon Teal Anas cyanoptera

Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata

Northern Pintail Anas acuta

Green-winged Teal Anas crecca

Redhead Aythya americana

Ring-necked Duck Aythya collaris

Bufflehead Bucephala albeola

Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis

Plain Chachalaca Ortalis vetula

Least Grebe Tachybaptus dominicus

Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps

Eared Grebe Podiceps nigricollis

Great Egret Ardea alba

White-faced Ibis Plegadis chihi

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Osprey Pandion haliaetus

Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii

Harris's Hawk Parabuteo unicinctus

Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus

Sora Porzana carolina

American Coot Fulica americana

Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca

Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa flavipes

Long-billed Curlew Numenius americanus

Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla

Long-billed Dowitcher Limnodromus scolopaceus

Wilson's Snipe Gallinago delicata

Rock Pigeon Columba livia

White-winged Dove Zenaida asiatica

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Inca Dove Columbina inca

Black-chinned Hummingbird Archilochus alexandri

Golden-fronted Woodpecker Melanerpes aurifrons

Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris

American Kestrel Falco sparverius

Green Parakeet Aratinga holochlora

Eastern Phoebe Sayornis phoebe

Vermilion Flycatcher Pyrocephalus rubinus

Great Kiskadee Pitangus sulphuratus

Tropical Kingbird Tyrannus melancholicus

Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus

Green Jay Cyanocorax yncas

Horned Lark Eremophila alpestris

Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis

Tree Swallow Tachycineta bicolor

Black-crested Titmouse Baeolophus atricristatus

House Wren Troglodytes aedon

Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris

Carolina Wren Thryothorus ludovicianus

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea

Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula

Long-billed Thrasher Toxostoma longirostre

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

American Pipit Anthus rubescens

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

Yellow-rumped Warbler Setophaga coronata

Olive Sparrow Arremonops rufivirgatus

Savannah Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis

Lincoln's Sparrow Melospiza lincolnii

Crimson-collared Grosbeak Rhodothraupis celaeno

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

American Goldfinch Spinus tristis

70 SPECIES

Mary Beth Stowe

Alamo, TX