[texbirds] Re: Court rules on Coastal Whooping Crane takes

  • From: doefamily@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 17:22:54 -0400 (EDT)

I'm not sure why everyone seems so excited about this decision. As I read the
articles that have been referenced, it seems the court has ordered TCEQ to
obtain an "incidental take" permit, which will allow TCEQ policies and programs
to NEGATIVELY impact the cranes and their environment, as long as the impact is
"mitigated". While it is a good thing that TCEQ must consider the welfare of
the cranes, I am awfully scared about an incidental take permit.

We have a similar situation here in Comal County, where by it is the policy of
USFWS to allow developers to develop known breeding habitat of Golden-cheeked
Warblers and Black-capped Vireo, as long as the developers protect additional
populations. Nothing requires the developers to augment the overall population,
just protect existing ones. Net result is the number of birds will decrease
over time, as one population is eliminated and another existing one is
protected.

Bob Doe
Spring Branch