[texbirds] Re: Corpus Christi Vultures - Tuesday liftoff and WOW!

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 03:00:14 +0000

Hi All -

Ok, Monday's Turkey Vulture total came in officially at 64,171!!! Hawk
Statistician John Economidy reported that it not only blew away the single-day
record for Hazel Bazemore (41,132 on 10/19/2014), it eclipsed every SEASON
record except for 78,684 set in 2013. Given that the 2015 season total was
now at 69,064, that's pretty much a certainty that will fall.

Norm and I went out in the morning, looking for roosting vultures. We found
scattered groups in the Nueces River lowlands off CR 73, mostly perched
conspicuously on dead tree limbs. I suspected that there were many more either
perched on the ground on in lower level branches.

At about 9:45 am, we were on CR 77 heading toward the Nueces River plain when
the first vultures started taking flight. Within minutes there were lots of
little "fountains" or "geysers" of vultures popping up as far as I could see
along the course of the riverbed. It was pretty cool. After another 15
minutes or so, they started to group together and search for bigger thermals,
and the groups started moving west and south.

I had to drop Norm at the airport, so from that time onward I would
occasionally glance at the skies - pure blue with no clouds - I did not envy
the hawk counters at Hazel Bazemore that day.

Erik just walked in the door and announced "Today we blew away yesterday's
Turkey Vulture count - over 80,000!!!" Just one stream was over 27,000 birds
and took over an hour to pass by - can you IMAGINE what their necks and eyes
felt like after that?

Ho-lee-COW!!!

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member