[texbirds] Corpus Christi CBC 2012 - Hazel Bazemore area

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 07:30:31 -0500

Hi all -
This in my 5th CC-CBC (wow, how time flies!) and true to form, it was
completely different than all the others in terms of weather and bird numbers
and distribution.    Amazing.

If it were not for Lincoln's Sparrows, Myrtle Warblers, and the non-migratory
residents, the thickets and woods were virtually empty.   At Hazel Bazemore
County Park, usually if you stand by the lower picnic area and pissh or whistle
Screech-owl calls, the birds coming off the brushy hillside just about knock
you down.   Not yesterday.     Ditto the thickets along the Nueces River -
Butter Butts ruled, the Ruby-crowns and OS Warblers tagging along, backed up by
a chorus of Lincoln's Sparrows chipping away.   Hmmmmm....

My bird feeders featured House Sparrows and not much else.   My 5
hummingbird-species tally from the yard in 2011 dropped to 1 - the two Rufous
Hummers that have been here for the past 10 days.   Even Buffie did not make an
appearance.   Bummer.

Of course, all this grousing (none of those, either, but I was not expecting
one!) aside, our little group of me, Joel & Vicki Simon, and Tony & Julie Trott
did OK - 99 species for the day.    For the lack of a Wilson's Snipe (seen
Friday), Bronzed Cowbird (Thursday), Sora (none calling), Sharp-shinned Hawk
(Friday) or Buffie (Friday), we missed breaking 100.   Oh, well, there's always
next year.

However, there certainly were good points - the Black Phoebe was nicely seen
and photographed, we got 2 Song Sparrows, 7 species of columbids, a Gray
Catbird, a Brown Pelican flyby of my house, Wood Duck, Green Kingfisher, and
lots of Sedge Wrens (last year was a struggle to get one!).

We did not have a compilation dinner, so I do not know what the preliminary
totals are, but my fingers are crossed that the other groups have more sparrows
and warblers than we.

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi),  TX