[texbirds] Corpus Area & La Sal del Rey (last trip report)

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 21:01:53 -0500

Hi, all!

Checked out of the absolutely gorgeous Best Western on Shoreline in Corpus,
met guide for the morning Judy Kestner outside, and headed over to Blucher
Park. And what a beautiful place - I expected a more open city park with
tall trees, yes, but nothing like this totally forested area with little
trails weaving in and out! Anyway, who should we run into but the young man
I encountered yesterday, whose name was Mark! He had seen all sorts of
warblers already, and almost immediately we flushed a Chuck-will's-widow! A
Long-billed Thrasher was singing right out in the open and would be
serenading us almost the whole time! So the three of us hung around, and
separated, and met up again, and during the course of the time there we
encountered many Black-and-whites, Black-throated Greens, Tennessees,
Catbirds, and buntings of both types, and singletons of Canada,
Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Chat, Northern Parula, Wilson's, Restart, and
Yellow Warblers. Early on a Bell's Vireo shot through and sang a little
song, which was pretty nice of him to do! We also had a Philadelphia Vireo
singing a little before he showed himself. But the star of the show was a
female Golden-winged Warbler behind the Nature Conservancy house!

Next stop was Rosehill Cemetery, and things were quieting down by then. But
we did manage to run into a little flock which contained more Black-throated
Greens, but also a Blue-headed Vireo had me fooled into thinking it was
another Philly (the voice, that is), then Judy found the star of that place:
a brilliant Blackburnian Warbler, which I needed for the trip! Woo hoo!

From there she offered to get me a real easy trip bird, so we went over to
the Catholic Diocese for the nesting Monk Parakeets (I thought that was
appropriate J)! We picked up an incongruous Roadrunner on the way out, then
checked out Tule Lake since it was close. We added a few nice things for
the day, including Sedge Wren, Swainson's Hawk, White Pelican, Black-bellied
Plover, Least Tern, and Whimbrel. This place was famous for its nesting
Barn Swallows, but the water was too high for many shorebirds.

It was getting close to 11:00, so I offered to call it a day, and she
dropped me off at the BW after a wonderful morning! So that left me trying
to figure out a strategy for the rest of the day, as I wasn't ready to call
it quits yet, but swinging by South Padre for a shot at that Slate-throated
Redstart was unreasonable as I'd get there just about the time I'd have to
leave to get home by five! (Found out just now the thing was seen at 3:30.)
So I decided to swing by La Sal del Rey, seeing as that was right on the way
home. I like to take US 77 and cut over on SR 186 as the drive through King
Ranch is so much more scenic than cutting over on SR 285 to Falfurrias, but
what I didn't anticipate was the rainstorm of bugs!!! They weren't
butterflies, and I was wondering if they were bees or something, but when I
stopped in Raymondville (along with everyone else who had to clean their
windshields), I discovered they were those "Love Bugs" that would swarm in
Florida in the spring - I had no idea they were here in Texas! Obviously
they must have emerged with all the rain we've had, but boy, Diggory's nose
is just covered - you can't even read the license plate! I sure hope the
Monster Car Wash will even take 'im!

Anyway, the swing through La Sal (except for all the big rigs barreling
through: Rio Beef was closed due to road work, and it looks like these
trucks were hauling debris or gravel) was very productive, despite the time
of day: lots of stuff was still singing, and while several new day species
were added, I was thrilled with a handful of new trip birds, including a
young male Bullock's Oriole, a Harris' Hawk, and a noisy Green Jay, but the
star was in with a group of circling TV: a Mississippi Kite! I felt like I
had come full circle, as old friends from the western portion of the trip
showed up, like Pyrrhuloxia, Bewick's Wren, and the White-tipped Dove!

Got home fine, ending the trip with 289 species!

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis

Northern Bobwhite Colinus virginianus

Neotropic Cormorant Phalacrocorax brasilianus

American White Pelican Pelecanus erythrorhynchos

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

Great Egret Ardea alba

Tricolored Heron Egretta tricolor

Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Mississippi Kite Ictinia mississippiensis

Harris's Hawk Parabuteo unicinctus

White-tailed Hawk Geranoaetus albicaudatus

Swainson's Hawk Buteo swainsoni

Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis

Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola

Willet Tringa semipalmata

Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa flavipes

Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus

Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla

Laughing Gull Leucophaeus atricilla

Least Tern Sternula antillarum

Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri

Rock Pigeon Columba livia

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

White-winged Dove Zenaida asiatica

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Common Ground-Dove Columbina passerina

White-tipped Dove Leptotila verreauxi

Yellow-billed Cuckoo Coccyzus americanus

Greater Roadrunner Geococcyx californianus

Chuck-will's-widow Antrostomus carolinensis

Chimney Swift Chaetura pelagica

Ruby-throated Hummingbird Archilochus colubris

Golden-fronted Woodpecker Melanerpes aurifrons

Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris

Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway

Monk Parakeet Myiopsitta monachus

Eastern Wood-Pewee Contopus virens

Least Flycatcher Empidonax minimus

Great Crested Flycatcher Myiarchus crinitus

Brown-crested Flycatcher Myiarchus tyrannulus

Great Kiskadee Pitangus sulphuratus

Couch's Kingbird Tyrannus couchii

Western Kingbird Tyrannus verticalis

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Tyrannus forficatus

Loggerhead Shrike

White-eyed Vireo Vireo griseus

Bell's Vireo Vireo bellii

Blue-headed Vireo Vireo solitarius

Philadelphia Vireo Vireo philadelphicus

Red-eyed Vireo Vireo olivaceus

Green Jay Cyanocorax yncas

Purple Martin Progne subis

Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica

Black-crested Titmouse Baeolophus atricristatus

Verdin Auriparus flaviceps

Sedge Wren Cistothorus platensis

Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris

Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii

Gray Catbird Dumetella carolinensis

Long-billed Thrasher Toxostoma longirostre

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

European Starling Sturnus vulgaris

Golden-winged Warbler Vermivora chrysoptera

Black-and-white Warbler Mniotilta varia

Tennessee Warbler Oreothlypis peregrina

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

American Redstart Setophaga ruticilla

Northern Parula Setophaga americana

Magnolia Warbler Setophaga magnolia

Blackburnian Warbler Setophaga fusca

Yellow Warbler Setophaga petechia

Chestnut-sided Warbler Setophaga pensylvanica

Black-throated Green Warbler Setophaga virens

Canada Warbler Cardellina canadensis

Wilson's Warbler Cardellina pusilla

Yellow-breasted Chat Icteria virens

Olive Sparrow Arremonops rufivirgatus

Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina

Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus

Lincoln's Sparrow Melospiza lincolnii

Summer Tanager Piranga rubra

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Pyrrhuloxia Cardinalis sinuatus

Rose-breasted Grosbeak Pheucticus ludovicianus

Indigo Bunting Passerina cyanea

Painted Bunting Passerina ciris

Dickcissel Spiza americana

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Bronzed Cowbird Molothrus aeneus

Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater

Orchard Oriole Icterus spurius

Bullock's Oriole Icterus bullockii