[texbirds] Complete results from today's Plains BBS

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 14:11:00 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:

I completed one of the BBS routes near Plains (Yoakum County) this morning.
This route is located northwest of Plains and bridges Yoakum and Cochran
Counties.  Recent rains in the area made portions of the road 'interesting' and
a burst irrigation pipe made one stretch of the road 'almost too interesting'
but I managed to get it done.  The route was, given our ongoing drought,
surprisingly lush and I tallied a very good thirty-five species of birds.
Butterflies were a bit slow, by this route's standards, amphibians were absent,
there were a few reptiles about, and only the most common mammals were seen
along the route.  Birds were generally, as would be expected given the severity
of the drought, in low numbers but Eastern Meadowlarks continue their startling
resurgence in the region ... though this could be an artifact of the relative
absence of Western Meadowlarks this and last year.

All in all:

1 Pipevine Swallowtail
21 Checkered Whites
1 Orange Sulphur