[texbirds] Re: Common Nighthawk

  • From: "Judy Kestner" <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 13:41:48 -0500

I actually see and hear many more during the day than I do during my
nighthawk surveys, done after the moon rises at night, which is the time we
are instructed to conduct the surveys.

What seems to bring the birds out at night is when the sheriff pulls over
behind me to see what I'm up to.  Sometimes they believe me when I say I'm
counting birds at night, sometimes they make me produce ID.  So far no
certificates swearing to my sanity have been requested.  After they leave,
the birds usually begin to pipe up.

Sunday night/Monday morning, four of the total of 13 Common Nighthawks on
one route in rural Nueces County (ten stops, six minutes each) started
calling after the sheriff drove off, and last night in Kleberg County I had
two CONIs and a Common Poorwill, both of which began calling after the
sheriff drove away down the road.  Should I request a police escort next
year????

Judy Kestner
Corpus Christi