[texbirds] Re: Common Crane at Muleshoe NWR

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx" <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 19:32:19 -0500

Hi All -

Ok, so the Simons and I are on the way to Bosque del Apache in NM for the bird
festival, but we are already plotting our route to Muleshoe on Monday.

As for the Common Crane, my only NA one was along the Platte River in Kearney,
Nebraska, in company with 200k Sandhill Cranes.   The bird was eventually
nicknamed "Waldo" because picking a single Common Crane out of a flock of
10,000 to 20,000 in a cornfield was, well, you get it......

Point is, that sighting and subsequent Common Crane sightings there in the
following years were accepted as wild - the bird did not have any zoo or game
farm bands, and it was associating with the Sandhill subspecies that flies from
Nebraska to breeding grounds in Siberia.

Hope it stays!!!!

Clay Taylor
Calallen (Corpus Christi) TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx