[texbirds] Re: Common Crane Success

  • From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 21:14:35 -0600

Dear Texbirds,
It was nice to meet you, Jane, as well as the all of the other birders who
gathered on CR 227 in Bula before sunset. The harvested sorghum field
drawing in the cranes is to the east of CR 227 approximately 2.25 mi. S of
Bula. During one scan through the roughly 3,000 Sandhills I was fairly
convinced I saw a second Common Crane elsewhere in the flock immediately
after panning away from the first one, but I didn't have any luck in
picking up 2 in subsequent scans. Shortly thereafter subgroups of the flock
began taking off to head to roost. So, as a heads up, please be on the
lookout for a second bird upon locating the first. As a minor correction to
Jane's information, I am all but certain that this flock flew off to the NE
to presumably roost for the night on Bull Lake, which, unfortunately, has
absolutely zero public access or vantage points from public roads.

Good birding,
Justin Bosler
currently at Muleshoe NWR

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 7:50 PM, Jane F Tillman <jtillman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A roller coaster day, getting to the bird's early a.m. location thanks to
> Erik Huebner and Paul Sunby, just to have it move over the rise and into
> heat shimmer. We appreciate their efforts to get us on the bird. Many hours
> spent on false starts and lots of dirt roads, ultimately ending up back on
> CR 227 south of Bula, very close to the location reported by Erik and Paul
> in a previous post. Fantastic views of bird with no heat shimmer from 5
> p.m. until a little after 5:30 when the flock lifted off presumably going
> to Paul's or Goose Lake.  Thanks so much to Justin Bosler for letting us
> know that he had seen the bird by the 37N playa around 4 p.m. And that he
> thought it was headed back to the a.m. location.  Eight birders are happy
> tonight because of him.
> Jane Tillman
> Austin
>
> '