[texbirds] Collaborative Calliope - Hazel-Bazemore

  • From: Harlan Stewart <hstewartmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 01:15:44 -0500

On September 17th and 18th, a Calliope Hummingbird was observed at feeders at
the observation platform for the Hazel-Bazemore Hawk Watch in Corpus Christi. I
had been observing and photographing migrant Ruby-throated Hummingbirds and an
occasional Buff-bellied Hummingbird, when a hummingbird with a short tail
visited a feeder close to me. I obtained a borderline adequate photo (taken at
10:37 in the morning) and uploaded it to my laptop. A very much appreciated
concurrence from knowledgeable birders on the platform (including the party of
veteran birders whom I accompanied - Jana Whittle, Sherrie Roden, and Christine
Sliva)), including expert evaluation by Dane Farrell, sealed the
identification. After lunch, we obtained additional vey much appreciated expert
concurrence from Kevin Karlson, who had just arrived to the Hawk Watch. Our
special visitor repeatedly visited the feeders on the platform throughout the
day Thursday, and up to 11:30 AM, when my party departed. I have uploaded
photos of the visitor to my SmugMug account, including the following photos:

The initial photo from 9-17:
http://hstewart.smugmug.com/Nature/Birding-Trips/2012-Hazel-Bazemore-Calliope/i-MQSsfzs/0/M/Calliope-Hummingbird-9-17-12-M.jpg

Better photos;
http://hstewart.smugmug.com/Nature/Birding-Trips/2012-Hazel-Bazemore-Calliope/i-VGzLWSR/0/M/Calliope-Hummingbird-9-17-12-M.jpg
http://hstewart.smugmug.com/Nature/Birding-Trips/2012-Hazel-Bazemore-Calliope/i-WdWmp5B/0/M/Calliope-Hummingbird-9-17-12-M.jpg
http://hstewart.smugmug.com/Nature/Birding-Trips/2012-Hazel-Bazemore-Calliope/i-mxR3HdM/0/M/Calliope-Hummingbird-9-17-12-M.jpg

I apologize for my tardiness in reporting - I claim an excess of competing
interests and travel during a very enjoyable visit to the Rockport Hummingbird
Festival, as well as the Hawk Watch.

Harlan Stewart

Nederland, TexasEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at