[texbirds] Colima warbler are no longer singing

  • From: "Imre Karafiath" <kossuth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 19:40:50 -0500

I hiked from the basin to boot spring  via the pinnacles each day from 8th
through 12th July 2014. On the 8th and 12th I hiked all the way to the south
rim. One year ago at this time I had no difficulty finding two colima
warbler that were quite vocal. In 2013 one bird sang from an exposed perch
along the last set of switchbacks just below the pinnacles and I had no
difficulty regularly finding another at the junction of the boot canyon and
juniper canyon trails. Other individuals were singing but I was not able to
see them.  This year was quite different. The warblers were not singing, and
I did not hear the characteristic "chip." Only on the 10th was I able to
obtain an excellent view of one bird on the pinnacles trail. In addition I
found 1 or 2 painted redstart each day from the 8th to the 11th. I suspect
these were part of a larger family group but I was never able to see more
than two at once.
Imre Karafiath
Denton