[texbirds] Colima Warbler Report

  • From: "Imre Karafiath" <kossuth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 15:51:53 -0500

I hiked from the basin to boot spring each day from 12 to 16 August 2013.
Two Colima warbler were present along the boot canyon trail just beyond the
juniper trail junction on 12 August.  These were the only two Colima warbler
I observed on this trip. Since I am neither an early riser nor a fast hiker
if the the birds were active very early or late in the day I would not have
seen them. Nonetheless this is a marked contrast to prior years.  In the
past [with the exception of the drought year] I have regularly found Colima
in the higher elevations of the Chisos through the third and fourth week of
August. Painted Redstart were present and singing at boot spring on 12, 13,
and 14 August.  A pair of Townsend's warbler were present at the three-way
junction of the laguna meadow, southeast rim, and colima trails on 16
August.
Imre Karafiath
Denton