[texbirds] Re: Coastal Migrant Traps

  • From: Clayton Leopold <passerinaciris12@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:00:28 -0500

I have been to high Island about 6 times, every time it seems to be filled
with birders but lacking in birds. I'm sure its that I just haven't caught
it during a fallout yet.
Corps woods near the ferry landing in Galveston, can be good too, no drips
or anything but it always seems to have something worth while there.

Moody Gardens is usually decent, I work there so I am fortunate to be able
to frequently bird it. If you want to email me whenever you are in the area
I can let you know if I'm seeing anything good. We get most warblers,
orioles, bunting and grosbeak just to name a few. Last year we had at least
3 cerulean that stayed for several days.

Kempner park is a decent place to check, it's usually good even with crowds

Laffite's is good but it's usually the go to spot on the island so you have
to fight crowds. It is probably the busiest spot on the island for birding.
Inevitably the drips will be stacked, but usually there is enough walking
room to get around everyone.

Galveston state park has a small oak/brush motte that usually holds a
western tanager or two along with your typical migrants

Dos vacas muertas on the west end has a few drips and usually has good
birds, and great picture opportunities.

Thats about all I know of on the Island. Once again you can send me an
email when you are passing through and I can update you on anything good we
may be seeing. Or if you have target birds, I can keep a close eye out for
you.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Michael Womer <mbwomer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Lafitte's Cove on Galveston island is also pretty good.
> Mike Womer
> Katy, TX
>
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 9:04 PM, Mary Beth Stowe <
> mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > wrote:
>
> > Hi, all!
> >

> > I may be taking an extended road trip this month, and I'm curious as to
> > your
> > favorite coastal migrant traps.  The following appear to be the most
> > popular:
> >

> > Sabine Woods
> >
> > High Island
> >
> > Quintana Bird Sanctuary
> >
> > Paradise Pond/Turnbull Birding Center
> >

> > Does anyone have any other spots they like that are good?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >

> > MB
> >

> > Mary Beth Stowe
> >
> > McAllen, TX
> >
> > miriameaglemon.com
> >

> > Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> > //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
> >
> > Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
> permission
> > from the List Owner

Clayton & Linsey Leopold
Texas City