[texbirds] Cliff Swallows return to west Harris County

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 17:24:59 +0000

While I have expected them for a week now, only today did the Cliff Swallows
return to the overpasses on Hwy 290 at Kickapoo and Hegar Roads. This is the
third time in the last four years that they have returned on March 22nd.  When
I searched for them and found about 30 at Kickapoo I wondered if perhaps they
had been there for a while I and I had simply overlooked them since I don't
normally get off the freeway and look underneath. I wondered how long they had
been there as I drove the two miles down the freeway and reached Hegar Road
which I have checked every day this week. Low and behold, there were at least
20 there. I assume all arrived sometime since yesterday morning when I passed
that way.
I love spring and the anticipation each day of another new arrival.

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center
             Cypress Top Historical Park