[texbirds] Re: Clapp Park highlights - today

  • From: Randy Duncan <osufight@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx" <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 23:02:22 +0000 (UTC)

     A glimmer of hope for you Tony,We are having the opposite water problem
over this way at Devine Lake. The water level is as high as can be so we have
zero shorebird habitat right now... Haven't seen as much as a Yellowlegs in a
couple weeks.
Randy Duncan Leander TX

On Monday, April 6, 2015 6:32 PM, Anthony Hewetson
<fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Greetings All:
I spent an hour at Clapp Park late this aternoon, noting 27 species of
birds.

The good news, of course, is that there were a few highlights including 1
Blue-winged Teal, 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, 1 Merlin, and
1 Louisiana Waterthrush:)  The latter, given the absence of water near the
tree lines, was in a fairly odd place for this particular migrant - one of
the liveoaks near the south end of the park - in the area known to local
birders as Shrubhenge.

The bad news: the park looks to be less than a week from drying down
completely and the forecast for rain in the near future looks grim.  This
could cost me the spring shorebird season at this site ... which does not
bode well for the ongoing Kostecke: Hewetson competition:(

Speaking of which, additions for the year were Barn Swallow, Cliff Swallow,
Spotted Sandpiper, Swainson's Hawk, Turkey Vulture, Louisiana Waterthrush,
and Ash-throated Flycatcher, bringing my 2015 total for the park up to 91
species - tying the honorable Mr. Kostecke's end of March total for Devine
Lake Park.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock