[texbirds] Choke Canyon on Saturday (9/27) - Wood Storks, Black-crowned Night-Herons, Tree Swallows, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Chihuahuan Raven

  • From: Christian Walker <christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 10:56:40 -0500

Hi,
On Saturday I went down to Choke Canyon and birded the South Shore Unit, Quail
Ridge Run, and the Calliham Unit. The Ebird list below is from the Calliham
unit. I had a few good birds, including some Wood Storks, a few Tree Swallows,
one Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, and a heard-only raven that I assumed to be a
Chihuahuan (is that accurate?). Anyway, the overall birding experience was
surprisingly disappointing - when I’ve birded the area in the spring and winter
there are usually birds everywhere, but on Saturday I had to work for every
bird I found. South Shore Unit was especially dead. The only highlight there
was flushing two big coveys of Northern Bobwhites. At the Calliham Unit the
woods were almost completely silent, and I had to walk about a mile and a half
to find one small flock of titmice, and a larger flock of gnatcatchers, that
also had a White-eyed Vireo, the Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, and a Nashville
Warbler and Great Crested Flycatcher.
Granted the lack of birds may have been due to the overcast weather, which at
around 10:30 am turned into a downpour.
I ended up trying to escape the rain by wandering down to Hazel Bazemore
(easily justified - it’s only an extra forty-five minutes right?).  I had about
half an hour of clear weather before the rain caught up to me.  Saw about 15
hawks which was really enjoyable.  Nothing spectacular, but seven Mississippi
Kites were nice.
Also this morning at Camp Ben McCullough I had my FOS Lincoln’s Sparrow, along
with some sort of distant pewee.

Good birding,

Christian Walker
Independent Adjuster