[texbirds] Chasing Birds Across Texas

  • From: "Joe and Renee Fischer" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "fischer13" for DMARC)
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 20:32:30 +0000 (UTC)

While I was out at the Davis Mountains Preserve in mid-August, I met Randy
Pinkston in Tobe Canyon and we ended up walking a good portion of the trail
together while heading back to the parking lot.  I had mentioned to Randy
about how a few of us took the one in a billion chance of hiking into Elbow
Canyon on the Preserve to look for the slate throated redstart that had been
seen in the spring.  We dipped on the redstart.  During the discussion, Randy
Pinkston goes on to tell me how Mark Adams had a slate throated redstart years
ago in the Davis Mtns. at a place called Peewee Springs located just below Mt.
Livermore while doing a big year.  Randy goes on to tell be that Mark wrote a
book about his Big Year across Texas and that it is quite a good read.  The
book  does a good job of covering the people and places across Texas as well
as the trials and tribulations of pulling off a Big Year...especially if you
live in West Texas as Mark lived in the Davis Mtns.
Well, upon returning home from that trip, I hit Amazon to see if the book was
still available.  I was able to pick up a used paperback copy of "Chasing
Birds Across Texas" by Mark T. Adams for the great expense of $6 that was in
great condition.  Due to two birding trips to SE Arizona and the Bay Area, the
book had to sit for a few weeks.  So this week, I was able to pick it up and
start reading.  As Randy said, it is a good book on Mark's Birding Big Year
across Texas.  Mark amassed 489 species in 2000 tying the Texas Big Year
Record at that point in time.  Yes, there are a few who have broken the 500
mark since that time.  In addition Mark saw 25 Texas Review Species during his
year.  Amongst those review species includes birds such as Black-Headed Gull,
Berylline Hummer, Buff-breasted Flycatcher, Clark's Nutcracker, Black-billed
Magpie, Rufous-backed Robin, Olive Warbler, Gray-crowned Yellowthroat,
Red-faced Warbler as well as many other goodies .  Any of us would be happy
adding those 9 review species I listed to our Texas list, much less a total of
25.  In addition, you can see how bird distribution has changed with time to
some degree.  Pymgy Nuthatches and Spotted Owl present in the Davis Mtns.
During the winter invasion, the trans-Pecos offered up lots of Pinyon Jays,
Evening Grosbeak, Clark's Nutcracker, and Cassin's Finches.  The latter,
Cassin Finch, is the only one in recent history that has had many reports with
a handful of Evening Grosbeaks within the last couple of winters.
In addition, there are many references throughout the book to many great
birders of the era across the state that helped Mark in his quest and numerous
ones that he meet for the first time across all corners of the state.  In
fact, if you have joined this Listserv within the last few years you will
recognize many of those mentioned as many still bird across the state.  I
won't go into listing the names (the list is too long!), but a testament to
their dedication and continued birding across the state of Texas.
If you have only really been birding in Texas for the last 5-10 years, this
would be a great book for you to read.   Put down the field guide for a week
as you will learn plenty about the habitats, identification considerations, and
the many birding locations across the state.  Having done a big county year
once, I still don't think I will ever go for a Texas Big Year, but never say
never.
Joe Fischerwww.joefischerphotography.com