[texbirds] Central Austin -- Sunday 21st

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 13:21:09 -0500

I was originally headed to Camp Mabry, which I had not visited lately, but
they were having an open house. Laguna Gloria was also hosting an event, so
I parked at Mayfield Park and walked down the street. Around the parking
lot were young Northern Mockingbirds (with their speckled breasts, cute
beaks, and short tails). In the flock of warblers, I was able to pick out a
Blue-headed Vireo, hear a Red-eyed Vireo, and find a calling
Yellow-breasted Chat. Swamp Sparrow and Marsh Wren are still in the reeds,
and a male Common Yellowthroat showed itself. I could not see the
Red-shouldered Hawk nest clearly, but I've been told you can see the
chicks. Also, a Barred Owl chick was out the other day (I looked but found
only an adult).

I wanted to go to Shoal Creek after the Cerulean report a couple weeks ago.
Well, it was a good choice. Two male Blue Grosbeaks and a flock of
Lincoln's Sparrows met me at first. An Eastern Phoebe was calling, and
another birder told me she saw a juvenile bird. In the creek, Blue Jays
were harassing a Red-shouldered Hawk, a pair of Red-bellied Woodpeckers
foraged and visited a nest hole, and a silent Great Crested Flycatcher
perched briefly. Overall lack of warblers (two Orange-crowned Warblers and
a few singing faintly).

I will close with a tail of two ponds. Central Market was dead (15 spp),
except for the usual urban birds, Wood Ducks, and one Red-winged Blackbird.
On the other hand, the Triangle was great, and I was pleased with the time
I spent waiting for the Least Grebe to appear. A Sora walked out in the
open, a Green Heron was hunting, a pair of Blue-winged Teals, a large group
of Wood Ducks were around, and a family of American Coots rounded out the
water birds.

Elliott Gordon
AF5HH
NW Austin