[texbirds] Carpenter's Bayou

  • From: "Ray Porter" <ray.porter314@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 14:54:39 -0500

The last couple of days have been interesting on a couple of levels.

Migration appears to be picking up. I have found increased numbers of
Orchard Orioles, Blue-Grey Gnatcatchers, and Epidonaxes. This morning a
small contingent of Robins were literally chased away by a gang of juvenile
Mockingbirds.

In other news, I believe I have found a fourth (4th) family of Purple
Gallinules. These are late comers to this small patch. The youngest of 4
"gallinulikins" (yeah i made that up) is still in black down and the oldest
is mostly brown with some black speckling. Only one adult present. Of the
other three families, ocassionally I see a couple of juveniles feeding
without parental guidance. Likewise for three families of birds formerly
known as Common Gallinules, formerly known as Moorhens, and now known by
their former name, Common Gallinule.

Ray Porter
Highands Tx