[texbirds] Canyon Lake Bald Eagle, Pelicans, Ibis, Tricolored Heron, Peregrines

  • From: Laura Paulson <laura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 16:20:58 -0500

Hello everyone,
Steve and I went paddling today in search of an eagle nest that someone
reported to lake rangers last April after we left the area. Allegedly, two
adult eagles were seen flying over the Cranes Mill peninsula to a nest in
an oak tree on the southwestern shoreline of the cove formed by Jentsch
Creek. We were skeptical but what a great excuse for a paddle!
So, no luck on finding a nest but I think we are better at spotting moving
birds than empty nests as we did see an eagle! A first year* Bald Eagle*
was circling with a kettle of *Turkey *and *Black Vultures* right over the
area where the nest had been reported. It left the vultures after a few
minutes, heading south. Then the vultures moved south too and it kettled up
with them again before flying off out of our view. Our little waterproof
camera could not capture an image but there was zero doubt about its
identity. The earliest we have seen an eagle here before was November.
We're guessing this one was migrating through and we got lucky. Still, I
think it is worth continuing the nest search, especially as the wintering
eagles return.

We were lucky with other birds too. 52 *American White Pelicans* were
resting on a sand bar off Mystic Shores, along with a *Great Blue Heron*.
They lifted off and headed south just after 10:00am, giving us the pleasure
of their silvery beauty in flight. We also saw three dark, presumably
*White-faced* *Ibis*, a juvenile* Tricolored Heron* (first time we've seen
one here), 2 *Peregrine Falcons* (who sequentially performed the most
astounding dives we've ever seen) and at least four (probably more)*
American Kestrels*. We had a *Cooper's Hawk*, a *Red-tailed Hawk* and
a *Red-shouldered
Hawk* too. It was a busy day raptor day! Oh, and multiple *Osprey *... at
least two, probably more ... who seemed to fishing very successfully.

We were surprised to see a *Greater Roadrunner* in the top of a tree near
shore. More surprised still to see two more of them actively hunting at the
nearby shoreline. One or two are almost always present hunting in the grass
up at the lake office but I've never seen them down at the water line
before.

The only shorebirds seen were *Killdeer *and *Spotted Sandpipers*. Three
medium-size white terns flew by ... I can't be certain of species but am
guessing *Forster's Terns* based on range maps. Other thoughts?

Life is good at the lake :)

Laura Paulson