[texbirds] Canon Rd (Cameron County) 7/9/13

  • From: John Brush <jsbrush10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 11:52:48 -0500

Dad and I went out to check out Canon Rd this morning, searching for some
uncommon breeding birds. We got one of Dad's targets, a beautiful
Red-shouldered Hawk adult, as well as two singing Yellow-green Vireos (year
of the Yellow-green?). Also were nearly overwhelmed by the numbers of
Tropical Kingbirds. A birdy morning. Full checklist at the eBird link below.
We also briefly drove by the Weaver Road Sod Farms. No shorebirds to really
speak of, aside from Black-necked Stilts and Killdeer, who were joined by
White-faced Ibis and Black-bellied Whistling Ducks.

On the way out, at the pond of the corner of Jimenez and Rangerville Road,
we had a lone Ruddy Duck, Least Tern, and a couple Wood Stork for some
close views.

John and Tim Brush

--
John Brush