[texbirds] Cameron County: Mont Meta Cemetery, San Benito - 25 April 2013

  • From: Michael Marsden <valleybirders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 19:42:17 -0500

After being fortunate enough to witness the deluge of migrants on South
Padre this morning (more orioles than I've ever before seen - or dreamed of
- surely well over 1000?), it was almost a relief for Donna and me to get
back to more manageable numbers at Mont Meta Cemetery in the afternoon.  In
about an hour's birding we came across:
  Eastern Wood-Pewee (5)
  Acadian Flycatcher (1)
  Yellow-throated Vireo (there's a coincidence, Brush!)
  Blue-headed Vireo (2)
  Red-eyed Vireo (1)
  Swainson's Thrush (1)
  Gray Catbird (3)
  Ovenbird (1)
  Worm-eating Warbler (1)
  Golden-winged Warbler (1)
  Black-and-white Warbler (4)
  Tennessee Warbler (25+)
  Yellow Warbler (3)
  Hooded Warbler (1)
  American Redstart (1)
  Bay-breasted Warbler (2)
  Chestnut-sided Warbler (2)
  Black-throated Green Warbler (2)
  Blackburnian Warbler (2)
  Summer Tanager (4)
  Painted Bunting (4)
  Orchard Oriole (3) &
  Baltimore Oriole (8).
On the Island we saw an additional 13 warbler species (Blue-winged,
Nashville, N. Parula, Magnolia, Prairie, Blackpoll, Cerulean, Prothonotary,
N. Waterthrush, Kentucky, Common Yellowthroat, Wilson's & Yellow-breasted
Chat) but dipped on the Swainson's & Canada.

Michael Marsden
956-276-4409
San Benito, TX