[texbirds] Calliope and Rufous Hummingbirds at Russ Pitman Park, Bellaire (Houston) - Monday January 14th

  • From: Erik Breden <erik.breden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 20:26:52 -0600

TexBirders,

I travelled North to see the Calliope Hummingbird that has been
hanging out at Russ Pitman in Bellaire (Houston).

Mary Ann Beauchemin at the Nature Discovery Center in the park gave
me excellent directions to finding the bird in its "favorite"
bush...thanks Mary Ann!

Photos can be seen at:

www.otterside.com/winter2013

I spent a few hours in the afternoon looking for the Red Crossbill at
Claiborne West Park in Vidor. There was another gentleman there who
walked the entire perimeter of the park. I joined him for a while and
we found a flock of 20-30 Goldfinches working through the Sweetgum
trees on the East side, but no Crossbill. There were no birds in the
"usual"  Sweetgum tree by Shelter #6 referenced in previous emails.

The heavily overcast sky made birding difficult since the birds
foraging in the tops of the bare trees became silhouettes with little
color or detail visible.

Note that there are Sweetgum trees with seed pods (or whatever you
call those prickly balls) throughout the park. I'm thinking of going
again tomorrow...will post my results if I do.

Enjoy!

Erik Breden
Harlingen, Texas (currently in  Bellaire/Houston)