[texbirds] Calhoun C. Ch. Raven, Port O'Cnnor

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 12:37:22 -0500

    Between Port O'Connor and Port Lavaca a single Raven was noted this
morn flying down hill towards Seadrift.  Undoubtably the default
Chiihuahuan especially at this time of year.  What is really needed here
are more Common Raven record...Calhoun has only one real clean record of
one of those, but there are a couple of other reports, the most believable
(IMHO) is from c1967-69.

   On Hwy. 1289, 2 E. Kingbirds, 5-6 Yellow-headed Blackbirds and 5
Bobwhites...Scissortails piling up on the fences.

  In my Sq. mile the first 22 White Pelicans of the summer appeared flying
overhead.

   Birded a couple of my test "wells" for passerines in the "sq. mi." of
old towne but predictably with the NE/E winds ( and weekenders with
mowers)  there was nothing remotely of interest except perhaps for me a
Tennessee Warbler.   Wanted to bird Boggy Flats but too much saltwater to
have to negotiate.

   There is a cloud of hummers at the Hockey's house, but Petra went to
Rockport to see different ones ...Actually I think she wanted some new
feeders  etc.  I quit looking for other species here as it hurts the
head...Will start once the RTHUs thin out.

   Still waiting for fall....That does not happen in POC until the first E.
Phoebe shows up and says so.

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist