[texbirds] COLLARED PLOVER at Hargill today (07/28/15)

  • From: Rex Stanford <calidris.bairdii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 15:35:23 -0500

Today (Tuesday, 07/28/15) my wife (Birgit) and I visited Hargill to try for
the Collared Plover. We were there from between about 9:00am - 9:45am. It
was viewed for the major part of that time. When we first arrived there and
the temperature was relatively cool, it was quite active, and it took a few
minutes to get on it. We thank a couple of birders already there who
assured us that it was present from the start of our visit and helped us to
know where to look for it. It was constantly on the north side of the playa
(i.e., the playa side near the observation area along the unpaved eastward
extension of 1st Street). It became considerably less active when the
temperature started to rise, and for a substantial period later in our
visit it parked itself to the west of a small bush, perhaps as a windbreak
or to provide a bit of shade. At any rate, it stayed there or somewhere
near that bush for a substantial while, providing excellent views,
including from various angles. For a while, though, after a perhaps too
close approach of a Black-necked Stilt, it hunkered down against the sand,
and its uniformly light, wet-sand-colored back and wing coverts made it
hard to see when its rear end was pointed our way. Any hostile bird or
raptor might have found it difficult to spot at that time, as did we.
SUGGESTIONS: The unpaved eastward extension of 1st Street. along which lies
what generally has been the viewpoint for this plover, has deep rutting at
some points, and low-hung vehicles might have difficulty traversing it.
Birders able to negotiate on foot the unpaved road to the viewing point may
wish to do what others have suggested and that we did today, which is to
park alongside either Lincoln or 1st and walk from there to the viewing
point, keeping their vehicles clear of blocking the roadway or entrances
from it to fields. We suggest vigilance for snakes, though, as one walks.
Of course, it is very hot, and if one is to walk, one should have plenty of
water at hand, especially as one may not know how long it may take to find
this plover.

Birders who have not previously gone for this bird might appreciate knowing
that what usually is the best vantage point for viewing this plover is an
area, on the south side of the access road and perhaps a couple of hundred
feet to the east of a gate (north side of road) to a cotton field. The
beaten-down condition of the vegetation at one or two points along the
south side of the access road constitute visible "foot-paths" running up
the berm from which (or near which) one may view the plover (from
immediately north of the fence). I mention this just in case someone
looking for this plover should arrive in the absence of viewers already
present.

Wishing success to all who may seek this bird -- Rex Stanford (Weslaco)