[texbirds] Re: By chance....

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 11:43:08 -0500

As I recall from my days at Smith Point during the hawk watch, now is about the
time there would be a steady procession of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers by the tower
and out across Galveston Bay. There’s nothing quite so impressive as watching a
1/2-ounce bird head across the bay into a 20 MPH headwind without even a
moment’s hesitation while much more powerful hawks and and Mississippi Kites
mill about, obviously thinking, “Oooh! We don’t want to cross that. We might
have to flap our wings!”

At least two passed through the pecan tree that is outside my front window
yesterday.

Dan Smith
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
512-451-2632
http://www.wordsmithofaustin.com

On Sep 8, 2015, at 11:23 AM, Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

.
Yesterday, I had close to 40 likewise Diane Sherrill she had about 50 in
Williamson County during one of her project surveys...I have only seen two
so far today.
On Monday, September 7, 2015, Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

.
...did anyone see any gnatcatchers in Cen-Tex today?

Sent from my iPhone

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621