[texbirds] Burrowing owls & long-billed curlews, marathon prairie dog town

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 18:36:14 -0500

We found three live and one road kill burrowing owls at the marathon prairie
dog town along U.S. 385 in Brewster county today. The live ones were near the
northern end. There were also eight long-billed curlew which ebird flagged as
rare. Also a dead badger that some vultures were investigating. It looked like
it got hit by a car and was just able to drag itself about 30 ft out Into the
field before expiring. I wish I would see a live one sometime. The dead owl was
unfortunately too far gone for a specimen.

Sue

Susan Heath
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
Lake Jackson, TX