[texbirds] Bull Creek, Austin: Willow/Alder Flycatcher, and warblers

  • From: Roger Shaw <roger.w.shaw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 09:40:24 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've been primarily focusing on the Bull Creek Greenbelt near Austin
this migration season, without a whole lot of success so far. This
morning, however, a quick walk produced my most productive day of the
year.

Most notable for me was a Willow/Alder Flycatcher, which sat and
called for quite a few minutes, but unfortunately I don't have any
sound recording or playback capabilities, and my mental notes had
faded by the time I got home. I would lean towards it being an Alder,
but I can't say for sure, as I don't have a great deal of experience
with either species.

Warblers included single Blackburnian, Chestnut-sided, Tennessee, and
American Redstart, joined by 7 Wilson's and 5 Nashville, plus a single
Golden-cheeked singing from a distant hillside.

Also of note were a singing Hermit Thrush (seems awful late),
Yellow-billed Cuckoo, and a Green Heron perched 40 feet up in a
Sycamore!

Though not seen today, other walks along Bull Creek in the past few
days have produced Clay-colored Sparrows, Least Flycatchers, Eastern
Wood-Pewees, Black-and-white Warblers, Northern Parulas, and many
Common Yellowthroats.

Good birding,
Roger Shaw
Austin, TX