[texbirds] Buff-breasted Sandpipers, Triangle Turf Farm, Matagorda County

  • From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 20:47:22 -0500

All,

Tad and I ventured out in the heat to a couple spots in Matagorda County
this morning. We spent a couple hours at the Matagorda County Birding
Nature Center just west of Bay City but didn't find many migrants. Just one
Orchard Oriole, a bunch of hummingbirds and a Least Flycatcher. After that
we headed south down SH 60 and checked out the Triangle Turf Farms. There
we found 274 Buff-breasted Sandpipers, 6 Upland Sandpipers, a couple
Black-bellied Plovers, Least Sandpipers and Spotted Sandpipers. The number
of Buff-breasted Sandpipers tripped the e-bird filter which surprised me as
I've seen many more than that at this location in August. Anyway, it's
always fun to see the buffies in such large numbers. As far as I know, it
is ok to drive down the gravel roads that run out through these sod farms
and we did so today. The bulk of the birds was not along the paved road and
we wouldn't have seen them if we hadn't.

Our e-bird list follows.

Sue

Susan A. Heath, Ph.D.
 Avian Conservation Biologist
 Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
 103 W. Hwy 332
 Lake Jackson, TX 77566
 979-480-0999
 Join us in our quest to study and conserve birds and their habitat around
the Gulf of Mexico.
 www.gcbo.org
 Sign-Up for our monthly E-News Letter
http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/205/MenuGroup/Home.htm