[texbirds] Re: Brunswick Lake Duck photos (Dec 7, South Harris County)

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 15:31:10 +0000

Dear all,

Black Duck is a genuine identification problem in Texas. Back about 1967 or so
I saw 6 or 7 birds in a flock that I identified as Black Ducks near Anahuac in
the salt marshes somewhere. They were darker than the many Mottled Ducks in the
area, showed no white in the speculum. I was young and inexperienced and that
certainly made the ID easier! In memory I still think they were Black Ducks.
They were more nervous and flighty than the Mottled Ducks in the area. A
condition I would now attribute to recent migratory arrival or active
migration.

Based on hunter data collected at wing check points, Black Ducks do occur with
regularity across much of the state. The problem is that unless you have the
bird in the hand the identification is always going to be somewhat subjective.

In places like Brunswick Lake with a myriad of domestic ducks the problem
becomes untenable in my opinion. I domestic origin mallard may display any set
of characters you can imagine including those of a Black Duck. Perhaps enough
high quality photos may eventually be obtained but even with these can we ever
rule out a domestic mallard?

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377