[texbirds] Brown Pelican with red pouch (Pacific type, californicus?) -NE Houston at Alexander Deussen Park

  • From: "fernanda" <fernanda.home@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 21:13:02 -0500

Saturday, 3-30-13 at ~3:45pm, I saw a Brown Pelican with a red pouch flying
over Lake Houston near the boat ramp  at Alexander Deussen Park, in NE Houston.
In the 20min or so that I was at the park this was the only pelican I saw.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernandaworld/8603970513/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernandaworld/8603974099/
There was some discussion about Brown Pelicans in early March, so I though I'd
post a photo.  The bird I saw matches very well with the description and
illustration of a Brown Pelican californicus (Pacific type)  in Dunn/Alderfer;
National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of N. America.
Also for reference here is a link to a photo montage from Mark Bartosik that
shows Brown Pelican in different plumages
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/149005888/original_
and also a link to Mark's original discussion (from the archives 01-Mar-2103)

//www.freelists.org/post/texbirds/Brown-Pelican-Pacific-race-in-Texas-Blacklegged-Kittiwake

Some other birds at the boat ramp:
  Forster's tern  (winter)
  Royal tern