[texbirds] Brown Pelican continues in Lubbock plus lakes notes

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 17:22:25 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
I spent a good chunk of time along Lubbock's Canyon Lakes this morning/early
afternoon.

I started at Buddy Holly Park, the furthest lake upstream, and had no
highlights at all.

Just downstream from University Avenue (Lake 2?) I relocated the Common Loon
originally discovered by Phillip Kite on Wednesday.

I had 2 American Pipits at Erskine Marsh - not rare for the area but the first
I have seen at this site.

Aztlan Park produced six species of bird - none were highlights.

I spent almost two hours at MacKenzie Park where birding was so slow that I
managed to see more individuals and species of butterfly (339 of 22) than of
bird (237 of 20)!!  This is also an indication of how mild it has been this
year.  A lot of the birds were pretty nifty, though, including 1 Virginia Rail,
1 Wilson's Snipe,  1 Eastern Phoebe, 1 Carolina Wren, and 2 Eastern Bluebirds.

Lake Six kicked out 25 species of bird.  The closest thing to a highlight was a
Bewick's Wren, formerly fairly common in our area but becoming increasingly
difficult to find in recent years.

The area below Lake Six kicked out a whopping nine species but those included a
gorgeous adult Red-shouldered Hawk and a pretty enough Hermit Thrush so no
kicking from me.  The hawk was also seen by Peter Keyel and heard by Steve
Collins.

A quick stop at Maxey Park on the way home yielded the continuing Brown Pelican
as well as my first Bufflehead of the season.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock