[texbirds] Brown Boobys (2) in Corpus Christi (04/30/14): vantage points

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 11:35:06 -0500

Yesterday (04/30/14) we found the BROWN BOOBIES that had been seen in Corpus
Christi for some time. The main purpose of this communication is to convey
the two different ways we yesterday easily found and photographed these two
birds.

PEOPLES STREET T-HEAD: Here yesterday afternoon we went to this T-head's
northeast corner (easy parking) and set up our scope to scan the following
areas: (a) the breakwater north/northeast of one's vantage point, (b)
channel marker #2 (immediately east of the east end of the aforementioned
breakwater), which bears an orange triangular sign bordered broadly by a
wide red margin and has a platform atop it where these boobies often hang
out, and (c) the north end (abutting the channel) of the very long, curved
jetty to the south of the channel. We first found one of the boobies on the
breakwater, near, but not quite at, its east end, but the other booby could
not, at that point, be located. A bit later, though, a return to our vantage
point afforded views of both of the boobies sitting atop the platform at
channel marker #2. (We never saw either bird sitting on the jetty.) These
distant views and our distant photos of these rather persistently located
birds convinced us that a bay tour (1 hour) on the Japonica would be a
sensible investment in much closer, better photos. (See TEXBIRDS posting of
April 29 by Steve Snyder in regard to this tour. Thanks, Steve! Thanks,
also, to other birders who recommended this bay tour to get closer to the
boobies.) The boat leaves from the Peoples Street T-head (north side near
east end of the entry drive), and tickets may be purchased at the gift shop
of a restaurant a short distance to the east of the tour boat's docking
area.

JAPONICA TOUR BOAT: We took the 4:00 PM Japonica tour and found ourselves
the only passengers on this quite windy, generally overcast afternoon. We
got excellent close-range photos of the two boobies on this tour, especially
on its return leg. Additionally, we had delightful views of dolphins
swimming in the channel and managed photos of them, as well. The crew also
pointed out the numerous Royal Terns sitting on a large, curved, concrete
structure as we headed back in.

TULE LAKE: Afterward, it was getting late, so the only other area birding we
could do before heading back to McAllen was at Tule Lake and, very quickly,
at Hazel Bazemore County Park (water-filled areas only), which were easy
side trips. At Tule Lake we found no unexpected birds, but we much enjoyed
what we did find (no special order): BLACK-NECKED STILT (several), WILSON'S
PHALAROPE (2), GREATER YELLOWLEGS (1), LESSER YELLOWLEGS (1), STILT
SANDPIPER (1), SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER (1), LEAST SANDPIPER (est. 25-30; a
few in lovely breeding plumage), DUNLIN (3), WILLET (1), plus NORTHERN
WATERTHRUSH (1, only warbler of the day), GREAT EGRET (1), WHITE PELICAN
(1), BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON (1), BLUE-WINGED TEAL (several), and BARN
SWALLOWS (numerous, but not counted). Birds were few at Hazel Bazemore, and
the only species we added there for the day was LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER (1).

Wishing everyone the best of spring-migration birding,
Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX