[texbirds] Re: Brown Booby in Houston/Baytown

  • From: Janet Rathjen <j.rathjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:19:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

Thanks, Steve for getting the post out right away.  Here are the details:

This evening, Stephan Lorenz and I were coming south on Crosby-Lynchberg Rd and
just missed the ferry at 4:26 pm.  We were the first vehicle in line, so were
scanning birds from the truck.  I notice a brown bird appear from my right side
flying directly away from us out from the ferry landing.  I followed it
assuming
it would turn out to be a cormorant.  It finally banked left and I found myself
looking not at a cormorant head and bill, but that of a sulid.  In disbelief, I
asked Stephan "Is that a sulid?"  He got on it immediately and identified it as
an immature Brown Booby.  I quickly lost it behind the structure on the left
side of the landing.  He had a few more seconds look and said the bird turned
back to the right then zig zagged briefly as if making up its mind before he
too
lost it behind the structure.  We both looked for it to appear on the left side
of the structure, but did not see it reappear.  At this time, we don't know if
it went up the ship channel towards Houston, or down the ship channel towards
Galveston.  We scoped all the perches we could find from the Monument Inn, the
park across the street and the Battleship parking area over the next hour, but
could not refind it.

The bird was brown all over with the classic sulid bill and shape.  Stephan had
the presence and experience to look for the lighter brown on the underwings
which he saw clearly.  He will have better notes to send to the TBRC.  No
pictures were taken as we did not have time to pick up the camera before we
lost
sight of it.  Time of the sighting was actually 4:28 pm, not the 4:35 pm I put
in the TOSRBA text. (phone timestamp corrected the time).

Janet Rathjen
Houston, TX