[texbirds] Brant still in Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 07:26:57 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
I spotted the Brant at Whisperwood Pond this morning at about 7:45.  I think it
is safe to say that the bird is worth looking for any time there are thousands
of Cackling Geese at the location but most likely moves with these geese to
foraging locations outside of Loop 289 during non-roosting periods.  A lot of
the geese from this - and other in-town playas - are feeding in field just to
the west of FM 179; a little bit west of Lubbock proper.  Morning flights to
this area and afternoon flights from this area have been spectacular, according
to local residents.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock